Regulations and Compliance
The Regulation and Compliance is a unit comprised of Inspectors and headed by the Regulations and Compliance manager (RCM). The core function of the unit is to undertake regular inspections of water users by checking their compliance with terms and conditions of their permits and the provisions of the Water Resources Management (WRM) Act No. 21 of 2011.
- To monitor the use of water resources in Zambia through robust inspections;
- In conjunction with Hydro Informatics, the unit helps maintain an up to date clients’ data base;
- Carrying out awareness and sensitization on water permitting and compliance in line with the WRM Act;
- Identify any potential activities that may be at variance with WARMA regulations;
- To generate vital information from the field to facilitate planning and decision making by WARMA management;
- Recommend penalties of non- compliant water users;
- Investigate on reports from members of the public regarding suspected illegal water users;
- Enforcing regulations among water users to ensure compliance with the WRM Act;
- To verify clients’ compliance with terms and conditions on their water permits;
- Monitoring and evaluating the levels of compliance by undertaking follow up inspections;
- With reference to section 174, subsections (1) and (2) of the Act, to prosecute erring water users.